New AVMA Award to Recognize Achievements in Supporting DEI
Debra Nickelson DVM, MBA
AAIV Alternate Delegate
We invite you to nominate an AVMA member who has made significant contributions to the veterinary profession through innovating and transformational leadership in promoting Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Nominations are due by 11:59 p.m. on May 22.
Beginning this year, a new AVMA award will formally recognize accomplishments in support of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) with the AVMA Frederick Douglass Patterson Lifetime Achievement Award. Approved by the AVMA Board of Directors at its April meeting, the new award will be presented for the first time at the AVMA convention in July.
- Nominees must be an AVMA member veterinarian.
- Nominations may be submitted by any individual (AVMA member or non-member) or organization.
- Self-nominations will be considered.
- Nominations must reflect an individual’s significant and sustained contributions in promoting and advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in veterinary medicine. The following are some potential criteria that could be considered:
- Longevity of service: The nominee should have a demonstrated record of promoting and advancing diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the lifetime of their career.
- Innovation: The nominee should have demonstrated innovative approaches to promoting and advancing diversity, equity and inclusion including novel strategies and techniques in veterinary medicine that have resulted in measurable change.
- Collaboration and partnership: The nominee should have demonstrated an ability to work collaboratively and build partnerships with diverse stakeholders, such as community organizations, academic institutions, government agencies and private sector entities to achieve common goals related to diversity, equity and inclusion in veterinary medicine.
- Leadership and advocacy: The nominee should have demonstrated exceptional leadership and advocacy in promoting and advancing diversity, equity and inclusion including the ability to inspire and influence others to create positive change in the veterinary profession.
- Positive impact on underrepresented communities: The nominee should have demonstrated a positive impact on marginalized and underrepresented communities with a focus on creating equitable opportunities and outcomes in veterinary medicine for all individuals regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or ability.
- Cover letter summarizing the nominee’s contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion including how they have met the specific criteria for the award.
- Interactive PDF nomination form.
- Curriculum vitae/resume or biography, highlighting the professional achievements, education and experience in promoting and advancing diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Supporting documentation demonstrating the nominee’s contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion, such as publications, reports, videos or news articles.
- Up to three letters of support from individuals who can provide insight into the nominee’s contributions to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in veterinary medicine.
- Digital high resolution (300 DPI) colored headshot photograph, suitable for publication:
- 5” x 7”
- TIFF or JPG format
Leave a Comment